[Marxism] Hand of Frog strikes Eire down: Henry admits handball, FAI requests replay

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 09:51:19 MST 2009

HENRY HANDBALL FALLOUT
FAI request France replay

By Soccernet staff

November 19, 2009
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=700719&sec=worldcup2010&cc=5901

Les Bleus striker Thierry Henry clearly handled the ball to set up
William Gallas' decisive goal as France drew 1-1 at the Stade de
France on Wednesday night, winning the two-legged tie 2-1 on
aggregate.

"The handball was recognised by the FIFA commissioner, the referee
observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself,"
the FAI said.

The goal has caused outrage across Europe and the FAI share the view
of Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern and assistant Republic of
Ireland coach Liam Brady who have both called for the game to be
replayed.

"The blatantly incorrect decision by the referee to award the goal has
damaged the integrity of the sport and we now call on FIFA, as the
world governing body for our sport, to organise for this match to be
replayed," the FAI said.

FIFA ordered Uzbekistan to replay Bahrain in a play-off for the 2006
World Cup in Germany after the referee made a mistake when a penalty
had been awarded.

"The Football Association of Ireland is hoping that FIFA and its
disciplinary committee will, on behalf of football fans worldwide, act
in a similar fashion so that the standards of fair play and integrity
can be protected," the FAI added.

However, in the aforementioned instance, the referee was guilty of
wrongly applying the rules rather than missing an offence. An indirect
free-kick was awarded against Uzbekistan when one of their players
encroached on the Bahrain penalty area as the Uzbeks successfully
converted a penalty. The correct interpretation would have been to
order the penalty to be retaken.

Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni wants FIFA to explain their choice
of referee for the game but accepts that there is no chance of the
match being replayed.

"All fans saw what happened on the pitch," Trapattoni said. "I would
only like to say I would like FIFA to explain how they selected the
referee for this important game. For this important game we needed a
stronger referee - an important referee."

"I know it's impossible to replay the game," the Italian added.

FIFA say they have yet to receive an official request from the FAI.
The world governing did say however the referee's decision is final
and they would not comment on decisions taken by match officials.

A FIFA statement said: "Law 5 of the Laws of the Game state that: The
decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play,
including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match,
are final. The referee may only change a decision on realising that it
is incorrect or, at his discretion, on the advice of an assistant
referee or the fourth official, provided that he has not restarted
play or terminated the match."