[Marxism] Claude Levi-Strauss

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 19 11:50:03 MST 2009

Claude Levi-Strauss’s death on October 30 at the age of 101 led me
to look a little bit into his thought. I was interested to see if
his ideas had any bearing on my research into the Napoleon Chagnon
controversy. Levi-Strauss’s initial foray into ethnology took
place in the Brazilian rainforest among Indian tribes not that
much different from the Yanomami. Indeed, Jacques Lizot, the gay
anthropologist who became Chagnon’s adversary after their initial
collaborations, was a student of Levi-Strauss. I also wanted to
get a handle on his basic approach since Althusser’s Marxism is
supposedly based on Levi-Strauss’s structuralism. What was that
all about? Granted, it no longer has the urgency it once had. In
my early days on the left and Marxist oriented mailing lists,
structuralism still had some traction, owing to a large extent to
the hegemony it enjoyed at the U. of Massachusetts under Richard
Wolff and Stephen Resnick. That seems like a lifetime ago now.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/claude-levi-strauss/