[Marxism] After Obama Visit, Assessing U.S.-China Relations: Orville Schell on Fresh Air

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Thu Nov 19 23:02:06 MST 2009

This transcript is informative and challenging and worrisome - and well
worth reading.

With my limited computer skills I haven't figured out how to locate a
url through my Firefox browser. Google orville schell + fresh air.

Early warning? This administration and those to come trying to run
things in the US may well be running out of patience with this
recalcitrant system in the context of prolonged, intractable crisis.
Also, the growing clout of China must be keenly felt. And successive US
administrations may even be able as events develop to get electoral
assent (especially given the tumultuous right wing and the apathetic
left wing) to an even vastly stronger executive, increasingly bypassing
the Congress and hog-tying the courts. Schell's perceptions here may be
prescient and widely felt among US policymakers. And that's either
extremely alarming or I'm merely an alarmist.

Council on Foreign Relations member Orville Schell, who accompanied
Obama to China, on Terry Gross's Fresh Air today: "I heard a statistic
the other day that a couple years ago China had 700 miles of high-speed
rail, and now they have 7,000 miles. Now, I may have those statistics
slightly off, but that's a staggering figure. The United States really
doesn't have one mile.

We have the corridor from Boston to New York to Washington, but that's
not really high-speed rail. That's sort of faster-speed rail. So you see
the infrastructure that's getting laid down, the new highways, the new
airports, the new ports, the new railroad systems. It's extremely
impressive, and I think, you know, it raises a question that is sort of
frightening to contemplate for an American, and that's this: _/*Does the
Chinese system, this sort of autocratic form of capitalism, deliver
better than democracy?*/_

And as an ardent democrat, I contemplate the answer to that question
with some trepidation, because I think, you know, we feel in America,
and in fact I think it's more than a feeling, that _/*in many ways our
government is paralyzed, paralyzed by a lack of money, paralyzed in
Congress, paralyzed by sort of vicious partisan politics, whereas China
is able not only to gather information well but to form policy quickly
and then, most importantly, to effect it.*/_ And you feel that
everywhere you look in this country now, that they are on top of things,
they're able to do things swiftly to meet the very high-speed demands of
the situation, whereas I think we are kind of languishing in many
respects, and I'd say climate change is a kind of a metaphor for how
difficult it is for us to do things, and health care would be another."]