[Marxism] The Russia Question

sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com
Sun Nov 22 19:55:10 MST 2009

Louis wrote:

>But from everything I have read
>of Getty online, including his most
>ambitious work co-authored with a
>Russian historian, there is absolutely
>no engagement with Marxism. There
>is no sense of an understanding of the
>relevance of historical materialism to
>the Soviet Union. It is strictly a number
>crunching exercise

I have not read Getty but so far the best
of the Stalin revisionists I have read is
Robert Thurston at Miami University,
the author of "Life and Terror in Stalin's
Russia,1934-1941." This work is far beyond
number crunching and does a superb job
of restoring some measure of materialism
to the understanding of life and society during
the worst of the Stalin era. Not only is
it an antidote to Conquest, but also confronts
the entire "totalitarian" construction of
history.