[Marxism] Zionists harass American scholar

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 26 07:57:31 MST 2009

I arrived in Israel at about 15:00 on Wednesday, 25 November afternoon
to visit my mother, brother, and sister who are Israeli (and US)
citizens resident in Israel since 1973.  My mother has been ill, and
this visit was prompted primarily for that reason. I have visited Israel
dozens of times before – most recently December 2008 – and resided in
the country for extended periods on several different occasions.
Yesterday, for the first time since my first visit to Israel in 1965, I
was detained without explanation at Ben-Gurion airport for nearly two
hours and ultimately interrogated.  The questioners asked questions that
they surely already knew the answers to.  The asked, for example, my
profession and my email.  My position as Donald J. McLaughlan Professor
of History and Professor of Middle East History at Stanford University
and my email are a matter of public record, easily obtainable from the
website of Stanford’s Department of History.  The questioners also asked
whether I had travelled to “other countries in the region” which, since
they had my passport in their hands for the better part of two hours
with all the relevant visa stamps, was also not obscure information.  My
luggage was not searched nor was I asked any question remotely related
to the security of Israel except whether I had travelled to Iran (I was
there once, for two weeks, in 1970 when Israel had warm relations with
the Shah’s regime).

It therefore appears that this “investigation” had no purpose other than
to harass and intimidate me.

Upon leaving I was told that I would be contacted further by one “Amos”
from the Ministry of Defense.  For my convenience, I was given his phone
number: 054-329-7532.

Joel Beinin

Donald J. McLachlan Professor of History

Professor of Middle East History

Stanford University

Beinin at stanford.edu

Contact in Israel: 054-565-2320