[Marxism] The making of a turkey

David Thorstad binesi at gvtel.com
Thu Nov 26 08:41:33 MST 2009

There's an error in the map in this video, which shows the allegedly
original range of the wild turkey as way too far south. I myself this
year succeeded, after several failed attempts, to raise Eastern wild
turkeys, and I released them into the wild in September. Some have no
doubt been taken by predators (wolves, fox, mountain lions...), but some
groups of one jake (as the males are known until later when they become
toms) and hens have survived in my ideal rural woodsy setting. I live on
the farthest north edge of the wild turkey's original range (northern
Minnesota), where white settlers wiped out the native bird, now being
reintroduced by the Department of Natural Resources--with a little help
from myself and a few others. The Ojibwe traditionally use wild turkey
feathers in some of their rituals. I will be curious to see how many
survive the generally harsh winter.
    This magnificent bird can fly 55 miles per hour, and run 35 miles
per hour. It is a survivor, resembling in some ways the dinosaur
ancestors of birds. The wild turkey looks and acts similarly to the
velociraptor in /Jurassic Park/.