[Marxism] new book on Bolivian Trotskyism

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 07:46:24 MST 2009

"Bolivia's Radical Tradition: Permanent Revolution in the Andes," by Sandor
John, has just been published by University of Arizona press. Most of
the Introduction is
at:
http://www.uapress.arizona.edu/btitle=Permanent+Revolution+in+the+Andes&am
p;author=S.+S%E
1ndor+John
I've only just started reading the book, but from what I've read so
far, and from hearing Sandor's talk on the book last week, I'd say I
agree with the book's analysis. He talks about the attention paid by
Bolivian Trotskyists to indigenous issues, to their role in leading
mass workers' organizations, and, unfortunately, to the repeated
opportunist mistakes of the Trotskyist party's leadership.
At his talk, one of those introducing him was James Dunkerley, whose
book on Bolivia has
been probably the most widely read by radicals, who said that "you
can't understand
the past 60 years of Bolivian history without reading Sandor's book."
And Sandor's
interviews with many participants in the events described are invaluable.
Sandor himself, I should add, has done yeoman's work in solidarity
with Oaxaca, the
Puerto Rican teachers, and others.
Another factor convincing me to buy the book was that after his
inspiring talk, an
activist in the Solidarity milieu came up and tried to convince me
that Sandor was all
wrong about how close revolution in Latin America is or ever was!
Unfortunately the book as of now is only available in hardcover, the
cheapest price
online being $37.
Andy Pollack