[Marxism] idiosyncratic take on defunding public education

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 28 19:50:44 MST 2009

Hi Michael,

As for the defunding of higher education, perhaps we should consider the
problem in terms that even a neo classical economist such as Mankiw
could understand: it's possible that students will not pay tuition that
reflects the total social benefit of their education. If tuition and
thus university budgets are however determined by what students
calculate to be the value (discounted future income flow) of their
education, then universities will be underfunded--classes and ta's will
be cut, remedial services will be reduced, discussion sections will be
eliminated, class size will increase. It's possible however that much of
the benefit of an excellent higher education system is a positive public
externality, and those positive spillovers range from raising the
productivity, creativity, and coherence  of others in your work team to
raising public empathy for others the burden of whose lives would
otherwise remain a mystery. In short, we have to make a public or social
case for public higher education. The market will under-provide higher
public education, and society as a whole will be the loser.  It's not
that this kind of talk of market failure is my favored approach, but
perhaps it could strike a chord.
rb