[Marxism] Roman Polanski: What Did He Do?

David Thorstad binesi at gvtel.com
Thu Oct 1 07:15:38 MDT 2009

It is clear from Geimer's testimony that at a minimum Roman Polanski's
sexual imposition on her was unethical and indefensible. Her saying "no"
should have been enough to stop his advances. There was no effective
consent on her part, and that should be the determining factor, not her age.
    That said, the judicial corruption in the case not only may have
justified his fleeing, but that, and Geimer's unwillingness to pursue
the matter, should end the state's vendetta against him. One would think
that in a city like Los Angeles, where young people are killing each
other constantly in gang violence, the authorities would have more
important things to preoccupy them than going after Polanski.
    Some of the comments on this list, to wit those bordering on
hysteria and lynch mob mentality, have been disheartening, and suggest
that some leftists throw words around to cover a deep-seated irrationality.
David

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/roman-polanski/story?id=8705958

Roman Polanski: What Did He Do?
13-Year-Old's Testimony Tells Story Behind Polanski's Guilty Plea to
Unlawful Sexual Intercourse
By LUCHINA FISHER
Sept. 30, 2009—

In the more than 30 years since director Roman Polanski pleaded guilty
to having sex with a 13-year-old girl and then fled the country before
he was sentenced, he has continued to make movies and even won an
Academy Award.

Meanwhile, the details of what actually happened on that day in March
1977 have receded, as even the victim, Samantha Geimer, has said she
forgives Polanski and doesn't think he should face further jail time.

Now, with Polanski's arrest over the weekend at the airport in Zurich,
Switzerland, there's been renewed interest in the still pending case.

ABC News obtained transcripts of Geimer's 1977 grand jury testimony,
which resulted in six charges against Polanski. They include shocking
details of 13-year-old Geimer testifying that the 43-year-old Polanski
plied her with champagne and part of a Quaalude before performing oral,
vaginal and anal intercourse on her, despite her demands to "keep away."

A former Los Angeles prosecutor who worked on the case said he believes
that if people knew all the details, they would have less sympathy for
Polanski.

"It's outrageous," David Wells, a former assistant district attorney on
the case, told ABCNews.com. "This pedophile raped a 13-year-old girl.
It's still an outrageous offense. It's a good thing he was arrested. I
wish it would have happened years before."

According to Geimer's testimony, Polanski first met Geimer at her home
Feb. 13, 1977. Geimer said the director asked her mother if he could
photograph her for French Vogue. She said her mother agreed to a private
photo shoot, which Geimer told ABC's "Good Morning America" in 2003 that
she believed would help further her acting career.

The director returned nearly a week later to take Geimer for the photo
shoot about a block from her home. Geimer said that at the top of a
hill, Polanski asked her to change shirts, which she did in front of him.

Then, she said, he asked her to pose topless, which she also did, though
she said she felt uncomfortable.

Girl Testified 'It Got a Little Scary' With Polanski
Geimer testified that she did not tell her mother about the topless
photographs because she had planned to tell Polanski, "I don't want to
get any more pictures taken again."

However, when Polanski turned up at her home March 10 for a second photo
session, Geimer agreed to go with him. She had planned to ask him if she
could bring along a friend, but said she felt he was rushing her to go.

Polanski took pictures of Geimer at someone else's residence before they
drove to Jack Nicholson's home. There, events took a darker turn, as
Geimer said Polanski loaded her with champagne, then asked her to pose
topless again.

"We did photos with me drinking champagne," Geimer later told "GMA." "He
was friendly and then right toward the end it got a little scary, and I
realized, you know, he had some other intentions, and then I knew I was
not where I should be. I just didn't quite know how to get myself out of
there."

Geimer said the other intentions became clear after Polanski offered her
part of a Quaalude, which she took, then asked her to get into a Jacuzzi
without her underwear. He took pictures of her in the Jacuzzi naked,
before taking off his clothes and joining her in the water, she said.

Geimer said she grew uncomfortable when he grabbed her around the waist
and started to move her hips around. When she hopped out of the Jacuzzi
and retreated to the bathroom, she said, Polanski followed her there and
she told him she wanted to go home.

"Yeah, I'll take you home soon," he said, according to her testimony.

"No, I have to go home now," Geimer said she told him.

Geimer testified that Polanski persuaded her to go to the bedroom and
lie down. Geimer went, she said, but she sat on the couch in the
bedroom. She described Polanski sitting next to her and reaching over to
kiss her. Geimer said she told him, "No, keep away" and "Come on, let's
go home."

He ignored her, she testified, then "went down and he started performing
cuddliness (sic)."

When the district attorney asked Geimer what "cuddliness" meant, she
clarified, "he placed his mouth on my vagina."

"I was ready to cry," she said. "I was going, 'No. Come on. Stop it.'"

Polanski Asked Girl If She Was on Pill During Rape, Victim Testified
Instead, a few minutes later, Geimer said, Polanski began having
intercourse with her, while asking her if she was on the pill and when
her last period was.

She testified that he then asked, "Would you like me to go in through
your back?" Then, he started performing anal sex on her.

At one point, Geimer said, there was a knock on the door. The Los
Angeles Times reported that the woman was actress Anjelica Huston,
Nicholson's girlfriend at the time, but Geimer testified that she did
not know who the woman was who was in the house.

According to Geimer, the woman who knocked on the door said, "Roman, are
you in there?"

Polanski went to the door and opened it a crack to speak to the woman.
Meanwhile, Geimer testified, she put her underwear back on and started
toward the door.

When asked why she didn't say anything to the woman, Geimer said, "I was
still pretty much afraid of him [Polanski]." She added that he was her
only way home.

Geimer testified that Polanski closed the door before she could reach
it, took off her panties and began intercourse again. When he finally
let up, she said, she went to the bathroom and put on her dress again.

On her way outside to the car to wait for Polanski, she said, she again
saw the woman in the house, spoke with her, but didn't tell her what had
just happened.

Geimer said she began to cry in the car, and Polanski got in about 10
minutes later and drove her home.

"All hell broke loose" when her mom found out, Geimer told "GMA."

"My sister overheard me telling my then-boyfriend what happened on the
phone after I got home. So she went in and told my mom," Geimer said in
2003.

Polanski was arrested the next day. He claimed that the sex was
consensual. Geimer said it was not and that she resisted.

Huston later described the teen as "sullen" in a probation report
prepared at the time of Polanski's plea deal.

"She appeared to be one of those kind of little chicks between -- could
be any age up to 25. She did not look like a 13-year-old scared little
thing," Huston said.

Today, Hollywood is still rushing to Polanski's defense. Directors
Martin Scorsese, David Lynch and Woody Allen are among dozens in the
film industry who have agreed to sign a petition calling for the
immediate release of Polanski. In a British newspaper, film producer
Harvey Weinstein, who has already signed the petition, called Polanski's
original plea deal a "miscarriage of justice."

Polanski 'Served His Time' for 'So-Called Crime,' Harvey Weinstein Says
"Whatever you think about the so-called crime, Polanski has served his
time," Weinstein wrote.

Polanski took a deal and pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual
intercourse and served 42 days in a California jail where he was
psychologically evaluated.

His Hollywood rep Jeff Berg told "GMA" Tuesday that Polanski fled to
France in 1978 only after learning during a discussion with the district
attorney outside a Los Angeles courtroom that the judge in his case was
preparing to sentence him to more prison time and require his voluntary
deportation.

Following the 2008 HBO documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired,"
which raised questions about the case, Berg said Polanski's rights were
violated and the case was "plagued with prosecutorial and judicial
misconduct."

In the film, Wells, the former assistant district attorney, acknowledged
having improper conversations with the judge, Laurence J. Rittenband,
and advising him on sentencing Polanski. When asked about it, he told
ABCNews.com he exaggerated such claims for the film to make himself look
more important to the case than he was.

Wells did say he was being truthful when he told the filmmaker that he
handed the judge's clerk a copy of a foreign newspaper with a photograph
of Polanski with two young girls. Wells said the judge responded, "That
son of a bitch is going to state prison."

Polanski fled the country before Rittenband could sentence him and
Rittenband later recused himself from the case. He died 15 years ago.