[Marxism] Roman Polanski: What Did He Do?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 1 08:19:19 MDT 2009

S. Artesian wrote:
> Can somebody please explain to me why we, why anybody, should give a rat's
> ass about whatever happens or does not happen to Roman Polanski, which for
> all my deep seated irrationality is the core of every comment I have made?

Leaving aside his scuzzy character and the special pleading on his
behalf by the likes of Woody Allen, the case raises important questions
about the legal system:

1. Why wasn't he extradited before? He owns a house in Switzerland after
all.

2. What is the prison system about? Is it supposed to be for punishment
or rehabilitation? If it is primarily for the former, then extradition
makes sense. But I doubt that anybody takes the idea seriously that a 76
year old man is capable of such crimes in the future.

3. How do the rich and the famous manage to escape punishment? After
all, Marc Rich is living it up in Switzerland.

4. How are sex offenders treated? In Texas they can be chemically
castrated.

There are other questions that spring to mind that transcend Polanski as
an individual. Those are germane for Marxists to discuss, not his
aberrant behavior. I think that these aspects of the case loom large
because of the overbearing nature of the American judicial system since
2003, which has led to all sorts of abuses in the "war on terror".