[Marxism] 15.1 Million unemployed in US!!,

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 2 08:24:02 MDT 2009

debs4prez at comcast.net wrote:

> Riots to start based on the fact that the U.S. working class is so atomized and beaten down.

This question is being posed even by liberals nowadays. With the Great
Depression in mind, people like Michael Moore, Bill Maher and Bill
Moyers keep "waiting for lefty". I think that facile comparisons with
the early 30s should be avoided. There was a *massive* organized left
wing in the USA in that period that played a key role in moving the
struggle forward. There was also a total absence of a safety net so
being laid off would have a much greater impact than it does today.
Finally, there was no big, institutionalized, house-broken AFL-CIO back
then that could have kept workers in the abysmal, crumbs from the table
stance that is so pervasive today. No wonder most of the open discontent
is manifested by the ultraright, middle class followers of Glenn Beck
rather than from the working class.