[Marxism] Thoughts for Polanski apologists, by another woman raped at 13.

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Fri Oct 2 14:54:46 MDT 2009

From: "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com>

> Jeff wrote:
>> Oh, that makes it really important then........
>
> Absolutely. The Nation Magazine is especially important in this debate
> because it has over 100,000 subscribers, many of whom consider
> themselves pretty far to the left. I suppose given the political makeup
> of the USA, this is fairly accurate.

We could spend all of our time on here discussing the finer points of
Marxist theory, obscure labour disputes from the 1890s, and fine details of
ideological differences between various factions who all seem synonymous to
anyone looking on from outside. And no doubt some would be proud of the
purity and lack of concession involved in such a mode of discourse. But in
reality, if we can't even discuss amongst one another the sorts of things
that hundreds of thousands or millions of others are talking about, and
bring some perspectives to bear upon those, then we might as well retreat to
the most remote ivory tower.

Solidarity,
Ian