[Marxism] Thoughts for Polanski apologists, by another woman raped at 13.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 2 19:30:40 MDT 2009

Pat Costello wrote:
> Do you ever wonder why there are virtually no women on this list? or why it is known as Marxmale? I would have thought that indignation
over the rape of a child would not be debatable. Racist attacks, rape,
police brutality....these are merely academic discussion for many on
this list.

Yes, I have heard this charge before. I have also heard Marxmail accused
of reflecting imperialist privilege as well--me in particular as a
reeking example of imperialist privilege. Frankly, there is no response
that is worth making especially since this is merely an Internet mailing
list and not a revolutionary organization. If it was a revolutionary
organization, such concerns would loom a lot larger. I think it would be
a huge mistake to confuse a listserv with a group that aspires to make a
revolution.

> There have been a number of comments and discussions on this board that have offended me as a woman, that would have offended any number of women i have known in the movement.

I understand this.

> If you imagine that you will have any relevancy in any coming upsurge while you cling to the idea that a group of men can be oblivious to to the experiences of at least half the population, you are sadly deluded.

My goals are much more modest. I am trying to provide a forum for
Marxists around the world. That forum has to lean very much in the
direction of free speech, even when people get offended.

If anybody reaches the point where they feel that being subbed to
Marxmail exposes them to racist, sexist, homophobic or other degrading
verbal assaults, I invite them to unsub. This is not a revolutionary
organization and you are not missing the opportunity to become part of
the future salvation of humanity by not being a subscriber. All you
would be missing is stimulating conversation, not that much different
than you hear at a cocktail party for highly educated and
class-conscious people.