[Marxism] Polanski

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 3 07:04:11 MDT 2009

Ron J wrote:
> I've been reading this list on and off for a while now and have to say
> that I can't believe the amount of bandwidth that has been wasted
> discussing Roman Polanski.  Why aren't you all discussing McKenzie
> Phillip's incestuous relationship with her father, too?  I personally
> could care less what happens to Polanski since the question of innocence
> or guilt has already been answered by Polanski himself.  His credentials
> do not excuse him from prosecution, nor should he be dealt with
> differently in terms of sentencing because of his Hollywood profile.  My
> point is, what the hell does this have to do with Marxism beyond a
> passing interest?  It certainly doesn't deserve the three-five days of
> debate among supposed Marxists that has already occurred on this list.

Okay, I've been persuaded by Ron and Fred to wind this down. I invite
comrades to make one more statement, if they must, and then we move on.
Btw, this issue consumed Doug's list as well, so much so that he had to
blow the whistle to call a halt. When one person refused, he was
unsubbed. So obviously there is a lot of passion about it.