[Marxism] undocumented

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Oct 4 17:02:47 MDT 2009

Mark Lause wrote:
> But it's the nature of the beast that this works the other way, too.
>
> Unless you actually know the writer, it's all bursts of electrons across the
> screen, isn't it?  Except in those cases, race, gender, class, etc. are
> actually unknown.

Actually, on the Marxism list that preceded this one we had a subscriber
named Ralph Dumain who wrote in such a way as to lead to the impression
that he was an African-American. When all sorts of good-hearted
subscribers sent him public and private notes to the effect that they
sympathized with his plight living in racist America, he never admitted
that he was a yid just like me.

It all reminds me of that New Yorker Magazine cartoon with two dogs. One
is sitting at a computer and the other is looking over his shoulder. The
one at the computer is saying, "Nobody knows that you are a dog on the
Internet."