[Marxism] undocumented

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Sun Oct 4 18:03:38 MDT 2009

From: "S. Artesian" <sartesian at earthlink.net>

> With such a social "background," it is not unusual for any and every
> expression of sympathy, or insistence on "due process" for a man who has
> engaged in such brutalization, on  personal, domestic, or social levels to
> be more than just regarded as "insensitive" by women, but be considered
> tolerance in continuing that brutalization, that exploitation.  That's the
> point.

The 'due process' is about establishing whether that man (or woman) has
indeed engaged in such a thing. To give another example, there has recently
been a case of a woman teacher in a girls' school in London who received an
18 month custodial sentence for having a lesbian relationship with a 15-year
old girl at that school. The girl defended their relationship to the last,
but I think the crime was statutory rape. Obviously the case looks very
different to that of Polanski, but the thing this woman has been convicted
of is similar. I think the sentence was disproportionate in this case. But
if that sort of case can be questioned, then so can another where the
affirmed charge is the same.

Once again, if you don't like insistence on 'due process', do you think that
alleged offenders in such cases should be deemed guilty until proved
innocent? Would anything other than such a view be insensitive and demeaning
towards women?

Solidarity,
Ian