[Marxism] Bernard-Henri Levy bandwagon

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Mon Oct 5 09:11:10 MDT 2009

kmccook at tampabay.rr.com (kmccook at tampabay.rr.com) wrote on
2009-10-03 at 08:07:57 in  about [Marxism] Bernard-Henri Levy bandwagon:

  forwarding an article by a Katha Pollit from "The Nation", a US bourgeois
magazine.

  What we see here is the class hatred against those nasty artists, who are
so free that they even dare to make fun of the real ruling class, the
heredetary owners of our means of subsistence, and their faithful
booklickers.

  Roman Polansky, even worse, was born and raised, and made his first
sucessful films in communist (!!!) Poland, a polack, that is. Not a real
"American".

  If he were a Morgan, or Rockefeller, or Du Pont, or even a Kennedy, he
would be treated otherwise, wouldn't he?

> It's enraging that literary superstars who go on and on
> about human dignity, and human rights, and even women's
> rights (at least when the women are Muslim) either
> don't see what Polanski did as rape, or don't care,
> because he is, after all, Polanski--an artist like
> themselves. That some of his defenders are women is
> particularly disappointing. Don't they see how they are
> signing on to arguments that blame the victim, minimize
> rape, and bend over backwards to exonerate the
> perpetrator? Error of youth, might have mistaken her
> age, teen slut, stage mother--is that what we want
> people to think when middle-aged men prey on ninth-
> graders?
>
> The widespread support for Polanski shows the liberal
> cultural elite at its preening, fatuous worst. They may
> make great movies, write great books, and design
> beautiful things, they may have lots of noble
> humanitarian ideas and care, in the abstract, about all
> the right principles: equality under the law, for
> example. But in this case, they're just the white
> culture-class counterpart of hip-hop fans who stood by
> R. Kelly and Chris Brown and of sports fans who
> automatically support their favorite athletes when
> they're accused of beating their wives and raping hotel
> workers.

   You see: those intellectuals are not better than the proles.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany