[Marxism] Free Speech Defense: was: undocumented

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 5 09:53:23 MDT 2009

Debordagoria wrote:
> So why not just take on the "Marxmale" issue head on, instead of hiding behind the phony free speech thing?

As moderator, I have the power to decide what crosses the boundaries
into racist or sexist language. In my view, there was nothing that--for
example--Einde O'Callaghan said in his last post that crossed that boundary:

For me the real issue for me on the Polanski arrest at this particular
point of time isn't whether he is innocent or guilty of rape - I have no
truck with the type of behaviour he is accused of - or what attitude the
woman he forced his attentions on under whatever circumstances while she
was underage forgives him or not, but the fact that in country after
country people can now be arrested on American warrants and deported to
the USA to face the not so tender mercies of the US "justice" system
without the substantive case being examined by a court before the
deportation.

Einde O'Callaghan

---

What we are dealing with is a certain zealousness of some subscribers to
rule such a viewpoint as crossing the boundaries of acceptable speech.
It seems that unless you are willing to side with calls to extradite
Polanski to LA, you are objectively supporting child rape. The key word
here is objectively. In the Marxist movement, this adverb has led to all
sorts of terrible abuses. For example, I have been accused repeatedly of
"objectively" aiding US imperialism because I side with the protesters
against Ahmadinejad.

Now, there are examples of crossing the boundary that I have taken
action on. For example, I removed Henry Liu from this mailing list
around five years ago because he posted material here from a neo-Nazi
website about the "Jewish question". As much as I admired Henry, I could
not accept this.

I hope this answers your questions.