[Marxism] The real issue in the Polanski arrest

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 5 14:32:02 MDT 2009

We were supposed to bring this issue to a close, remember?  But we can't.
This is like a Bunuel movie.  Don't like the food, the guests scare me,
there are sharp objects all around and still I can't get up from the tabele.
OK, we want go through more of this?  I've got one more go-round in me:

1. This is "no perfect" example, no example at all.  Polanski has not been
kidnapped.  The Sheikh, to my knowlege did not agree to plead guilty to
lesser charges then flee the country.

2. This is not a "new policy" of the US govt.  Requests for extradition by
one country to another have a long tradition.  Agreeing to them and
rejecting have an equally long history.

3.  This is a request for extradition, not an extraordinary rendition.  I
know the two words share a lot of the same letters, but the acts are quite
different

4. Regarding civil suits-- it's unclear if Polanski ever paid any of the
$500,000 he agreed to pay to his victim back in 1993 [stand up guy, that
Polanski, only takes the victim what 16 years to get a settlement- that's
due process for you].  As of 1996, he had paid squat, and the amount with
interest was around $605,000.

5. As for due process-- Polanski was afforded "due process," certainly as
much as any rich white connected male can expect to be afforded in the US.
He was indicted on charges of rape and sodomy based on the grand jury
testimony of the victim.  Possible defendants are allowed to testify to
grand juries, but are generally not required to so testify.  I don't know if
Polanski did, and as with everything else, I really don't care.  Polanski
then was afforded due process after indictment, was arrested, released on
bail, obtained legal counsel and negotiated a plea bargain to plead guilty
to lesser charges-- sex with a minor-- and avoid the charges of rape and
sodomy.  Polanski on the advice of legal counsel agreed to this deal in the
hope, not the guarantee that the prosecutors would be able to persuade the
judge to agree to the reduced sentencing and all that jazz.  The judge did
not agree.  Polanski then, according to due process, could have withdrawn
his guilty plea, and could have asserted his innocence of the more severe
charge and faced a trial and the decision of a jury of his peers.  He
elected instead to process a little due on his own and flee the country.  He
has lived well in France and Switzerland for some 30 odd years, and I don't
care about that either.

6. I do not believe that those defending Polanski, or expressing "concerns"
about this process are supporters of child molestation, excusers of rape.  I
do think those who express those concerns are, however, wasting their time
and ours,  by maintaining that there is some "overstepping" of legality,
there is some witch-hunt going on. Polanski is what he is-- a child-abuser I
do think those who excuse Polanski, based on his age, his "creative
contributions,"  his tragic past [give us break on that one, please], are in
fact excusing child rape.  To my knowledge, no one on this list is arguing
that.

7.  Those who think, however, that this event says anything at all one way
or the other about the US judicial and/or political system, are making
something out of nothing, or in this case, something out of a scumbag.
Literally.