[Marxism] Rosa L. replies to RL and LK

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 6 06:57:35 MDT 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 12:37 AM, XxxxXxxx XxYyXxx wrote:
> Shane Mage wrote:
> “  > ...where does Rosa account for the social origins of formal
> logics,
>> whatever kind, she makes such an unwarranted fuzz of? Did logic fall
>> from the sky?...
> It is the most obvious of mistakes to ask for the "social origins" of
> valid scientific concepts, whose only origin is the structure of
> reality to which they perforce conform.
>

> ...before this quote of mine, I had quoted Marx saying that “society
> must always be kept in mind as the presupposition”, but silly me,
> thinking that Marx had a say on a Marxism list…

"Presupposition" and "Origin", in my Realist usage at least, mean
different things.  Society would be presupposition in that human
thought is social and so all human thought presupposes human society.
But the ultimate origin of any *true* proposition, of any valid
scientific thought about any reality, would be the reality which that
thought reflects.  That's what I meant by the "origin" of thought, not
the sense of "origin" as being-originated-by-some-agent.

Shane Mage