[Marxism] The demise of the dollar

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 08:43:25 MDT 2009

I don't see exactly how this squares with the fact that China and Japan have
increased their purchases of US Treasurys, but hey, you never know what the
bourgeoisie will come up with in their grand game of beggar thy neighbor.

In any case, first a correction, or addendum to Fisk's presentation.  Iraq
has blacklisted Sinopec from bidding on concessions in the next round after
Sinopec bought Swiss oil company Addax Petroleum.

Perhaps Russia does want to get away from the dollar, and Iran did announce
its determination to price its oil in Euros, but I don't see any exporter
accepting a basket of currencies for payment that includes the recently
collapsed rouble, particularly when corporations in Russia are increasingly
unable to make payments on their debts to European banks.

And oil importers?  Why would Japan, or the EU want oil currency priced in
appreciating euros and yen, thereby effectively raising the price of their
oil?  To further appreciate the value of their currencies?  Doesn't quite
make sense, given the statements of the ECB "worrying" over the recent
appreciation of the euro and its negative impact on exports and overall
growth, and the critical role dollar depreciation played in the US, and
global recovery, 2003-2007.

I don't accept that "currency rivalry" will cause greater competition in the
Mideast, or between the US and China.  For one thing, for the yuan, or its
foreign trade form the renminbi, to operate in a basket of currencies, the
yuan would have to become fully convertible with other currencies--- and
when that occurs,  US private hedge funds, currency traders, etc.  with many
more hard currency reserves than all the central bankers in the world, will
start whipsawing the yuan through the markets, eventually ripping a hole in
the thin tissue supporting China's economic miracle, and then the run will
start-- with capital flight and the ensuing economic disorder putting an end
to that miracle.

However, I do think that these notions of "currency rivalry" reflect the
drastic decline in profits for the oil exporters, the oil majors due to the
overproduction of oil, and for 35 years nothing has worked against and
hand-in-hand with overproduction to boost profits like increasing tensions,
threats, then promises and the delivery of war. I too do not believe that
things have to get worse to make things better, but I have no doubt things
are going to get much worse, with much more hostility being directed at
China.