[Marxism] Rosa's latest replies

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 6 20:49:29 MDT 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Jim Farmelant wrote:
> http://anti-dialectics.co.uk/weak_responses_from_kosloff_and_mage.htm

"But, mathematics "deals with reality" only if one is a Platonist.
Where in the world, for example, is a Hermite polynomial, a partial
differential equation or even an Abelian Group? And, are we to suppose
that in a Scalar Field there are Real and/or Complex numbers (many of
which are infinitely long decimals!) floating about in space? Or that
in a Vector Field there are little arrows all pointing in certain
directions? Or even that there are Geodesics, everyone of which is
infinitely thin, made of nothing at all -- and yet infinitely strong
--, running throughout the entire universe, along which all objects in
a gravitational field must move, as if they were glued on to tram
lines?"

Where in the world?  It is Wittgenstein who said "Die Welt ist Alles
dass der Fall ist"--The world is everything that is the case.  *If*
the mathematical propositions that Rosa refers to are correct, then
*they are the case*.  If they are the case they are part of the world
just as we are--except even more so, because we will die and no longer
be the case while they will continue to be the case forever.

Shane Mage