[Marxism] How About That?!

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 7 10:11:00 MDT 2009

Second estimates for the second quarter of 2009

Euro area GDP down by 0.2% and EU27 GDP down by 0.3%, -4.8% and -4.9%
respectively compared with the second quarter of 2008

Euro area1 (EA16) GDP fell by 0.2% and EU271 GDP by 0.3% during the second
quarter of 2009, compared with the previous quarter, according to second
estimates from Eurostat, the Statistical Office of the European Communities.
In the first quarter of 2009, growth rates were -2.5% in the euro area
and -2.4% in the EU27.

In comparison with the same quarter of the previous year, seasonally
adjusted GDP declined in the second quarter of 2009 by 4.8% in the euro area
and by 4.9% in the EU27, after -4.9% and -4.8% respectively in the previous
quarter.

In the second quarter of 2009, among Member States for which seasonally
adjusted GDP data are available, Slovakia (+2.2%) recorded the highest
growth rate compared with the previous quarter, followed by Slovenia (+0.7%)
and Poland (+0.5%).

Variation in components of GDP

In the second quarter of 2009, household2 final consumption expenditure
increased by 0.1% in the euro area and decreased by 0.1% in the EU27
(after -0.5% and -0.9% respectively in the previous quarter). Investments
fell by 1.5% in the euro area and by 2.3% in the EU27 (after -5.4%
and -6.0%). Exports fell by 1.5% in the euro area and by 1.7% in the EU27
(after -9.2% and -8.6%). Imports decreased by 2.9% in both zones
(after -7.9% and -8.3%).

From:  Eurostat

As Mel Allen used to say  'How About That?!

And... How About Those Yankees!   Who says money can't buy love?  I love the
Yankees, all $240 million payroll worth, all 1 billion in tax free bonds
that I'll  pay taxes on to cover the coupon, all that and beers for $11 a
pop?  How lucky can a guy get?

But  I really do love the Yankees.  Sue me.  Nobody's perfect.  Caveat
emptor-- inside every Yankee there's a little bitty George Steinbrenner just
dying to come out.