[Marxism] Stock Capital and the rate of profit

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 11:54:15 MDT 2009

You're not alone.  I've read that section over and over, worked for
railroads, and studied the economics of railroading, and I'm still not sure
that I grasp Marx's thought on this completely.

  I think, and emphasize think, that Marx finds that the portion of capital
represented in the issuance of stock and producing dividends is not part of
the process of creating a general rate of profit because the dividend rates
are so much lower than the average rates of profit.

Of course, as Michael Milliken and the LBOs, vulture investors, asset
strippers have proven, that situation can be reversed-- utilizing the
purchase of joint stock companies to award themselves dividends, interests,
payment far above the actual rate of profit, in effect liquidating the
company from the inside.

The stock-capital could be included, added to the constant capital, employed
in production, but if so, then the rate declines even more.  I think, again
emphasize, think we see something along these lines if you look at the US
Dept. of Commerce Quarterly Financial Review of industries-- there you see
rates of return calculated as a return on equity, and rates of return
calculated on net property, plant, equipment.