[Marxism] Neoconservative Idiocy: How An Unconstrained Lust for Profit and Power Implodes

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 22:47:54 MDT 2009

Mark wrote:

The tens of millions who shrieked "traitor" when we doubted that Iraq had
"Weapons of  Mass Destruction" offered a collective shrug when it turned out
we were right.  "Who knew?" they said.  "Nobody."   Which is what their
fellow citizens are to those characters.
My response: Yes indeed the ruling class are like that.  But in some ways
the bigger problem is the ordinary people who turn off their brains as well.
I had a class of students tell me that  yes, there were weapons of mass
destruction.  One year later the same class denied saying that. There was
absolutely no anger because they seemed not to think they had been lied  to.
It was all like the run up to the war never happened.

I got the despairing feeling that I was the only person in Australia who
remembered seeing  the then Prime Minister, John Howard, on television with
a map of Saddam's presidential palaces saying that there were weapons of
mass destruction hidden there.  His performance was even more farcical than
Powell's at the UN.  But who cared?

regards

Gary