[Marxism] Statement against Government of India’s planned military offensive in adivasi-populated regions

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 08:20:40 MDT 2009

At the end of the day what we have coming is the brutal and direct
suppression of poor people by government and paramilitary forces.  60 years
since independence and some of these areas don't have running water,
schools, or hospitals, but now the government is spending millions,
deploying tens of thousands of troops to pay attention to them with a
jingoist new middle class cheering from the sidelines.

As for the CPI-M...

I can understand the contradictions of an organization with a mass base
among the working class and peasantry attempting to govern, even at local
levels, the capitalist state and the CPI-M's attempt to foster the growth of
productive forces in an attempt to combat generations of underdevelopment
and poverty, but the fact that there seems to be no nuance or sympathy
coming from their corner is very telling.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Bhaskar Sunkara <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com