[Marxism] Gay Patriotism: Repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 15 18:09:31 MDT 2009

Salon Magazine: A lot of what you write -- and celebrate -- in the book
is a culture of hedonism and sexual experimentation that seems at odds
with the gay marriage movement. What do you make of this generation's
pursuit of gay marriage?

Edmund White: I believe in promiscuity. But you know people are a lot
more complicated than they appear to be. I mean, right now I'm in a
relationship where I am faithful because my partner wants me to be, and
I respect him enough -- and it lowers the level of anxiety in our
relationship. He's also extraordinarily hot.

In the past, when gays were very flamboyant as drag queens or as leather
queens or whatever, that just amused people. And most of the people that
come and watch the gay Halloween parade, where all those excesses are on
display, those are straight families, and they think it's funny. But
what people don't think is so funny is when two middle-aged lawyers who
are married to each other move in next door to you and your wife and
they have adopted a Korean girl and they want to send her to school with
your children and they want to socialize with you and share a drink over
the backyard fence. That creeps people out, especially Christians. So, I
don't think gay marriage is a conservative issue. I think it's a radical
issue.

full:
http://www.salon.com/books/int/2009/10/15/edmund_white_interview/index1.html