[Marxism] Turk-Israeli rift good for Palestinians

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 20:58:17 MDT 2009

What really worries both the Israelis and the the ruling elite in the States
is the sign that there is growing disenchantment within the USA at the
popular level with the Israeli Govt.  I suspect that both the Israeli and
American governments were quite shocked at the Pro-Palestinian demos across
the States. Certainly they mounted a pro-Israel counter offensive very
quickly.

Much more needs to be done here of course because as always it is the
weakness of the Left in the Imperialist heartlands that enables the
brutalities of Imperialism to be enacted with near impunity.

Some random thoughts:  I was actually shocked by the Eamonn McCann article
in Counter Punch that Lou linked to. The treatment of the Arab prisoners by
the British Army was vicious in the extreme and it bespeaks a totalistic
arrogance worthy of Rule Britannia at her best. But there is a price to be
paid for such brutalities.

Secondly in a link on the Angry Arab blog to an article in the Jerusalem
Post it was revealed that the Israeli Intelligentsia was riddled with
post-Zionism. I have as much scorn for the intelligentsia as anyone, but
when the intelligentsia start to lose faith in the national enterprise then
that has serious implications for the entire Zionist project.

Thirdly the kibbutz movement is it would seem in terminal crisis.  Yet this
was the movement that channeled left liberal and even Marxist support for
the Zionist undertaking.

Fourthly I keep returning to the fact that in Europe the Far Right are
waving Israeli flags in their demonstrations.  At a recent demonstration
here in Brisbane I characterised this as the "Filth recognizing the Filth".
What is happening in this case,  as in America, the Zionists, because of the
collapse of the moral basis of Zionism,  are being forced into alliances
with anti-Semites.

So how do I put all this together?  Well it seems that the Zionist entity is
being hollowed out from within. Certainly this is what As'ad Abu Khalil (the
Angry Arab) has been arguing.  On the surface looking at Israel,  we see
this powerful military might in the hands of a truly ruthless ruling elite.
We see the great Powers, European and American,  locked in behind Israel. We
also see that Israel is protected by a buffer zone of corrupt Arab
leaders. Perhaps worse than this is the fact that opposition would appear to
be commanded by religious forces who themselves are not emancipatory. Who
could be sincerely enthusiastic about Hamas for instance? Certainly they are
not the bearers of universal liberation.

It seems then that the Zionist enterprise will last for generations. But one
should read Shelley's Ozymandias here:

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

All things pass away.  As things are they will not be.  And that makes me
return to Wallerstein's prediction of a "fire storm" in the Middle East.

We will see it.

regards

Gary