[Marxism] self determination for oppressors

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 13:43:11 MDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Marv Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca>wrote:

> But some, like the old Bundists in Eastern Europe, might be. I'm quite
> confident that in these circumstances the great majority of the population
> -
> Arabic- and Hebrew-speakers, Muslims and Jews and Christians - would be
> receptive to the protection of minority rights, as would the leadership of
> the new Palestinian state which, as I noted earlier, would also be
> conscious
> of the need for political unity and economic development. You Brasky, and
> Pollock would be on the other side, arguing against any extension of such
> rights.

reply -

Exactly what type of minority rights are you thinking of?  I have no a
priori list of what I would support or oppose, although my point was that my
opinion would be just that, my opinion. Self determination means the
oppressed nation BY AND FOR ITSELF makes decisions concerning its status
without feeling the need to get approval from leftists of Jewish background
living in NYC, NJ - or Canada.

.

--
The late Brazilian bishop Dom Hélder Câmara said it well: “When I give food
to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food,