[Marxism] Barely a Peep

Christopher Hutchinson christopher.hutch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:07:10 MDT 2009

I think we need to examine why the volume of the voice masses is
percieved to be low.  There are three points I would like to make:

1. The masses of working people are overwhelmingly anti-war. From
sellin newspapers at unemployment offices in the community and from
flyering and speaking on campuses aroun CT this was made clear. Our
organizing efforts are massive in contrast to the small size of the
coalitions and groups with which we agitate.  However, we are finding
and building with new student leaders who are radicalizing in a period
that is much harder to navigate politically than the bush period.

2. This new leadership is just beginning to find their footing and
gain confidence.  I have met more vets who are becoming active on
their campuses along with LGBT and other minority groups who have
become radicalized in anti-racist and LGBT struggles. They do not fail
to make the connection between their struggle and the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan... it will be through lessons learned in these struggles
that will make them class conscience wars able to shake the
foundations of society.

3. Our lack of funds and fulltime staff hamper our ability to
organize...it is not so much a struggle not to fill a bus to go to
Boston for a march but rather it is difficult for many workers and
students in the wake of layoffs, etc to pay $20 or so to secure a
spot...carpools were are organized but that also has a limited
organizing capacity.

Let's also not forget that by 1969 the war in Vietnam had been hot for
a while and there was a global radicalization and anticolonial
movement and the Cuban revolution that gave workers and students a
tremendous amount of confidence in their ability to struggle.

I think we are seeing in 2009 this deeper radicalization take place.
 From the strikes at the  universities in California to Honduras to
Guadeloupe, etc we have the beginnings of a fightback not just against
the war but the global economic crisises.  These struggles will
hopefully give our brothers and sisters here the inspiration to take
on the imperialist beast that is the US.

Keep well,
Christopher

Sent from my iPhone