[Marxism] Is this what Ho Chi Minh died for?

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 24 08:23:53 MDT 2009

I think Fred has gone over the top in a) concentrating on the moderator's
headline for the post on Vietnam  b) declaring such headline to be
"obscene."

The issue is not the appropriateness of the headline but the content of the
analysis.  The "development" of golf courses does not occur in isolation,
either domestically or internationally.  It occurs after the collapse of the
USSR, the incorporation, literally, of state supported private capitalism
into countries and economies with production relations that could be
described, at best, as extensions or parallels to those of the USSR.  It
occurs with the production of a real, conscious, bourgeoisie in these
countries rather than simple bureaucrats and administrators of the impulse
to capitalist restoration.

So we should ask Fred, and others so dismissive of the concerns of others
that they use terms like "obscene," "defeatist," "hysterical," to give us
their evaluation of the overall trend.

We should ask those insisting on the insignificance of golf courses, resort
hotels, beach clubs, and their associated activities like gambling,
prostitution, etc., who gains, who prospers from the golf courses, the
resort hotels, the beach clubs, and their associated activities like
gambling and prostitution etc?   Workers or emerging bourgeoisie, or perhaps
in a quasi-left channelling of Milton Friedman, do both workers and
bourgeoisie prosper, and should we all applaud with our invisible hands the
genius of the free market?

We should ask Fred and the others:  Are these golf courses and hotels and
their associated activities produced for their use-value, or are they
produced as exchange value in order to garner exchange value?

It is not critical analysis that is a sign of impotence, of accommodation
and resignation to whatever existing moment appears in capitalism, it is the
unwillingness to engage in such critical analysis that stands as the real
impotence.