[Marxism] Islamic creationism- Boston Globe

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Oct 26 19:25:01 MDT 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:40:56 -0000 "Paul Flewers"
<rfls12802 at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> I can't see why religious people, and I'm writing as an atheist of
> several
> decades standing, can't accept evolution, as there doesn't seem to
> be any
> contradiction between believing in a universal creator and
> accepting
> evolving life-forms. After all, if a universal-creating god is all
> that he's
> supposed to be, I can't see why he couldn't bring into being
> evolving
> life-forms.

I think that there are at least of couple of reasons.
One is that evolutionary theory takes away some
of the theists' favorite arguments, namely, the arguments
from design.  Traditionally, theists have often liked
to argue for the existence of a God on the grounds
that since it is apparent that the world, especially
living organisms, seem to be designed, that there
must be a designer.  Darwin's theory of evolution
by natural selections takes away, or at the very
least seriously weakens that argument, since
it shows how the apparently designed character
of organic nature can be explained mechanistically
in terms of unintelligent natural processes.
Secondly, evolutionary theory would seem to
reinforce the atheists's argument against the
existence of God on account of the imperfect
nature of the universe.  Natural selection works
to produce highly adapted living organisms at
the costs of much waste and suffering.
Lots of species after all go extinct.  We
are told that mutations are the source of
the new variations upon which natural
selection works, but most mutations
are to the detriment of the organisms
in which they appear.  Only occasionally,
do mutations turn out to be adaptive.
Natural selections, but it is a very wasteful
and often inefficient process.  Presumably,
an intelligent designer, with unlimited powers,
could do much better.

Jim F,

http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/options/marxism/farmelantj%40juno.com