[Marxism] Party and Capital (Re: Molyneux's "On party democracy")

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 28 09:54:45 MDT 2009

Max Clark wrote:
> Also, everyone should read Proyect's critique, if only for the Vulcan "pon farr" (spelling?) reference. AH! I laughed and laughed. --St. Max)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pon_farr

Pon farr (pronounced [poʊn fɑr]) is an element of the fictional
Star Trek universe that occurs both in the canonical TV series and
in fan fiction based upon the series. In Star Trek, Vulcan males
and females go into heat every seven years, going into a blood
fever, becoming violent, and finally dying if they do not mate
with someone with whom they are empathically bonded.

http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/john-molyneux-on-party-democracy/

Of course, the democratic centralism that defines “Leninist”
organizations today had little to do with Lenin’s call for
“freedom to criticize, but unity in action”. Somewhere along the
line it became a formula for ideological homogeneity. It states
that the “freedom to criticize” is permissible during
preconvention discussion, a period that tolerates atypical
behavior every couple of years or so, more or less like Spock
undergoing “Pon farr”, the Vulcan version of mating season.