[Marxism] Ruling class uniting to defeat public option

sandia sandia1980 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:39:41 MDT 2009

Big U.S. companies balk at healthcare public option
By Susan Heavey Susan Heavey 2 hrs 36 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Some of the nation's largest companies pushed
back against U.S. Democrats' plans to deliver a government-run
insurance option in a healthcare overhaul, decrying it as a step
backward that would drive up costs for employers and their workers.

The Business Roundtable, comprised of chief executives at Verizon
Communications (VZ.N), JPMorgan (JPM.N), General Electric (GE.N),
Wal-Mart (WMT.N) and other companies that together employ more than 12
million people, said the federal government is inefficient and would
underpay providers. That would result in providers boosting prices for
private insurers and employers, the group said on Wednesday.

"A public plan would neither manage cost nor encourage innovation,"
said Antonio Perez, chief executive of Eastman Kodak Co (EK.N) and
head of the Business Roundtable's health initiative. "We believe it is
the wrong direction for fixing our health care system."

Full: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091028/bs_nm/us_usa_healthcare_employers