[Marxism] Trumka scabs on Palestinian struggle

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:04:43 MDT 2009

(letter written to a fellow labor activist)

Thanks for alerting me to AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka's speech to
the Jewish Labor
Committee the other night. They've put it online at
http://www.aflcio.org/mediacenter/prsp
tm/sp10272009a.cfm
The worst parts of the speech are at the bottom of this email.
The verb "scabs" in the subject line may seem like an exaggeration or an
irrelevant epithet. But the fact of the matter is that what happened
to Palestinians in
1948, and continually since then, is just the Ludlow Massacre of 1914
writ large, and
Trumka should know that. The Nakba represented the murderous expulsion
of not just one
set of strikers, but an entire nation's working class and peasants.
(For friends I've
bcc'd, at Ludlow, Colorado, striking miners were driven from their
company homes into
tent villages, then were driven from those tents as the Colorado
National Guard set fire
to them and murdered 20, including 11 children.)
It's time to step up our efforts to stop this scabbing by the only
labor federation in
the world, as far as I know, that is on the wrong side on this issue.
In solidarity,
Andy Pollack
>From Trumka's speech:
"Now, given the traditions, the heritage, the commitment, and given the values
Jewish workers have always brought to the labor movement, I don’t
think it ought to come
as any surprise that the Jewish community here – and around the world
– has never had a
stronger ally than the AFL-CIO.  And tonight, let me tell you that, so
long as I’m
president, you will never have a stronger ally than the AFL-CIO.
That’s why we’re proud
to stand with the JLC to oppose boycotting Israel.
"Brothers and sisters, there is only one way we’re going to stop the
violence in the
Middle East, and it’s not by bashing Israel;  it’s by supporting
President Obama’s peace
initiative.  And I ought to add, that’s why we need to stand by
President Obama on Iran,
too.
"But I think we ought to be clear that not every threat facing the
Jewish people is
in the Middle East.  We still have some problems right here at home.
In America, we
sometimes think that anti-Semitism is part of the past, but the truth
is that it’s like a
weed that can always grow back.  And that’s especially true during
hard times.  You know,
sometimes it’s couched as “anti-Zionism.”  Other times there’s no
effort to disguise it
at all."
PS: After I forwarded the Trumka item to mrzine's webmaster they put
up an excerpt and a link to the talk, plus a
link for people to tell the AFL-CIO what they think of his awful position:
http://monthlyreview.org/mrzine/trumka291009.html