[Marxism] Paul LeBlanc: Why I Am Joining the ISO

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 30 12:33:08 MDT 2009

I don't know about FTROP [ok, Shane, don't get your knickers in a twist] as
metaphor, although I certainly think Marx's analysis of capital is at times
poetic.

Try this for a metaphor:

"Every step of this way was, and is, measured by and with the change in the
price of oil, from the price spikes of 1979 serving to announce the
double-recession, forming the overture and the coda to asset liquidation;
with the collapse in oil prices reverberating throughout the financial
structure, bringing an end to the leveraged certificate of deposit method of
tapping into accumulated savings of the public, the housing construction
boon of that decade, leading to the S &L crisis at the end of the decade and
making the first invasion of Iraq a dead cinch lock.

The recovery from the 2001-2003 contraction, brought about through dollar
depreciation, reduced wage rates, and rapid inflation of oil prices through
the second invasion of Iraq, magnified the use of leverage to liquidify, and
liquidate, the existing reserves of the general public. Recalling the pain
of the capital investment hangover of the 1993-2001 period, industry
consumed capital at rates greater than a 1:1 replacement ratio. Annual
capital investment fell below the amounts claimed in depreciation until
2005, while cash and marketable securities held by industrial companies
increased. Even after the increases in capital spending of 2006 and 2007,
and during the ongoing depression, US corporations continued to generate,
and preserve cash, at record levels. Estimates are that in 2008, the
non-financial companies in the S & P 500 index had accumulated reserves of
more than $800 billion in cash and marketable securities in the United
States.

With profitability generating more and more cash, with capital spending
severely restricted, with oil prices flushing money into that great big
pipeline called foreign reserves, with the US pulling the entire network of
capitalism in its wake, there existed only one market large enough, liquid
enough, to absorb the cash flows and achieve what capital must always
achieve-- the distribution, rationing of profit-- and there were only the
asset-backed portions, the commercial and consumer real estate portion of
those capital markets, the US consumer debt markets, the US mortgage debt
market, and the leveraged loan private equity portions available.

The importance of "financialization's" contribution in establishing a
general, and satisfactory rate of return in industry grew throughout the
2003-2007 period. As cash assets expanded an increasing portion of US
industry income was derived from non-operating sources, including interest,
dividends, royalties, licensing fees, etc. Between 1996 and 2000, income
from non-operating sources grew from 11.5 percent of operating income to
42.5 percent of the operating portion, but for the recovery years 2003,2004,
2005, 2006, and 2007, non-operating income measured 66, 64, 69, 72, and 70
percent of the operating contribution.

The increases in operating and non-operating income combined with the
continued constriction on fixed asset accumulation produced a spike in the
rate of return on net property, plant, and equipment for US industry. That
rate measured 22 percent in 2003; 40.3 percent in 2004; 45.6 percent in
2005; 51 percent in 2006, before falling to 35 percent in 2007.

2006 was the peak in the rate of return for US manufacturing, and that peak
and its decline were marked on the part of the ideologues, dismal
scientists, and artists of flim-flam capitalism with euphoria. T hose
actually compelled to engage in the reproduction of capital, those who form
the living, breathing source of capital-- those wage-laborers-- marked that
turn with increased class struggle. In the United States, that class
struggle was led by the immigrant workers, whose uncompensated labor had
been, and remains, so essential for controlling the overall wages, the
general ratio of wages paid out out to the class as a whole, who poured into
the streets of cities around the country on May Day. These demonstrations
were the tangible proof that capitalism had indeed overproduced capital and
had run up against its own ability to exploit labor at a rate of greater
intensity enough to offset the decline in the rate of return. "

Full at:
http://thewolfatthedoor.blogspot.com/2009/03/was-not-was-is-is-not-2-political.html