[Marxism] China's high speed rail plans

Néstor Gorojovsky nmgoro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:12:55 MDT 2009

2009/9/1 Lüko Willms <lueko.willms at t-online.de>:

>  The whole thing again, to repeat, is to stress that China is not simply a
> cheap labor producing platform for the international market, dominated by
> imperialist capital, but that the Chinese use the proceeds from their
> production of consumer goods for extensive investments in the infrastructure.

Yes, this is the whole thing again. Civilized countries close the road
to those who want to civilize themselves, said someone once.
Currently, there is a Korean economist who stresses the same by saying
that developed countries kick the ladder they used to climb in order
no one climbs it again. Whether this ladder can be climbed without in
some definitive way breaking out ("delinking") with imperialist
control of the global market (and global does not mean foreign trade
but, essentially, other countries´ "domestic" markets) or not, is a
settled point for Marxists: this simply can´t be done. It is one thing
to _use_ capitalism, and a different one to _bow_ to capitalism. The
whole thing when it comes to the China debate is whether the Chinese
leadership _uses_ capitalism or _bows_ to it, which implies bowing to
imperialism. China is not doing the latter. Doing the former, of
course, entails the most serious risks. But no serious debate can be
held on China if we do not start by the evidence that "the Chinese use
the proceeds from their production of consumer goods for extensive
investments in the infrastructure", that is they are bringing down to
Earth the bourgeois fantasies of the Latin American bourgeoisies. If
somebody believes that this has little or nothing to do with the
relative weight of the bourgeoisie in the social structures of China
and, say, Brazil (or, daresay, India), this is a mistake.

--

Néstor Gorojovsky
El texto principal de este correo puede no ser de mi autoría