[Marxism] How many and which car plants to be closed in North America? (war: A Depression sized event)

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Wed Sep 2 02:24:32 MDT 2009

Louis Proyect (lnp3 at panix.com) wrote on 2009-09-01 at 10:18:57 in  about
[Marxism] A Depression sized event:

  quoting an article by a Rob Sewell, who in turn quotes "Business Week":

> The article continues, "To become profitable,
> according to Michelle Hill of consulting firm Oliver Wyman, U.S.
> automakers will need to close at least a dozen of their 53 factories in
> North America in the next few years." (Business Week, 31/12/08)

   In a message a few weeks ago I presented the "new GM", a new company
formed under the name "General Motors Company", while the old GM was
called "General Motors Corporation" and was subsequently renamed to
"Motors Liquidation Company". Those plants and contracts (with dealers e.g.)
which the GM management deemed to be profitable had been transferred from
"General Motors Corporation" becoming the "Motors Liquidation Company" to
"General Motors Company", while the "Motors Liquidation Company" has the
only task to close the remaining plants etc.

   I would like to know which facilities have been transferred and which are
destined to be closed (or already have been closed). I understand from the
latest news, that NUMMI, the joint venture of GM with Toyota is now closed
after first GM (or ML) had withdrawn and now Toyota is giving up on it, too.

   Could some comrade please provide the concrete information about the
others, or point to an (accessible) source for that information?

Comradely yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany