[Marxism] China's high speed rail plans

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 2 08:53:46 MDT 2009

Lüko Willms wrote:

>   If a real workers-and-farmers government were in power in Beijing, what
> would that do different?
>
>   Some of Sartesian's writings suggests that they should make millions of
> workers unemployed, in order to increase the per worker productivity...

I haven't been paying close attention to this thread, but this strikes
me as absurd. A real workers-and-farmers government, to use Trotskyist
jargon, would first of all guarantee jobs for all since there is massive
unemployment throughout China, a side-effect of a free market in labor.
There would also be protection of safety on the job and vigilance
against water and air pollution. A real workers-and-farmers government
would also have a revolutionary foreign policy. China would not be
turning a blind eye to US imperial aggrandizement in East Asia, to begin
with. China would also respect the rights of Uighurs and Tibetans. I
could go on at length, but this should suffice.