[Marxism] Latest Articles on Sanhati

Politicus E. epoliticus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:24:59 MDT 2009

Healthcare in India: Features of one of the most privatised systems in the world
September 1, 2009
By Pinaki Chaudhuri, Sanhati

Americans are currently engaged in a fierce debate regarding
healthcare reforms - there is a growing demand for healthcare
insurance coverage for all its citizens. Further, there is also a
demand that the government should provide for healthcare insurance
just like many other developed nations in the Western world. See this
article for a basic orientation in the US healthcare debate
(http://sanhati.com/articles/1733/).

Let us now turn our attention to India. Here, the healthcare industry
is dominated by private capital and its growth spiral is almost
unregulated. On the other hand, 65 per cent of our population does not
have access to modern medicine. It is even worse if one looks at the
rural/urban divide : about 80 per cent of doctors, 75 per cent of
dispensaries and 60 per cent of hospitals are located in urban areas.
Since the process of liberalisation kicked in, the health
infrastructure provided by the government has almost broken down. The
overall private-public spending on healthcare is very little - it
accounts for 4.8 per cent of India’s GDP. Of this, 3.6 per cent is
contributed by the private sector and only the balance 1.2 per cent by
the Government....

Read the full article at http://sanhati.com/excerpted/1759/

*****

Report on a recent mass rally against land acquisition in Hazaribagh, Jharkhand
September 1, 2009
By Manali Chakrabarti, Sanhati

Main yehan Nandigram bana doonga (I’ll make this a Nandigram)

This is, apparently, what the Deputy Commissioner of Hazaribagh, Mr
Vinay Chaubey, said on the 8th of August 2009, to a group of villagers
in Arahara village, in the state of Jharkhand, who have been refusing
to part with their land for compensation. The heavily armed police
cover gave credence to this arrogant assertion....

Read the full article at http://sanhati.com/excerpted/1757/