[Marxism] Afghanistan Syndrome

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 3 08:42:52 MDT 2009

Obama Is Leading the U.S. Into a Hellish Quagmire
By Mark Ames, AlterNet
Posted on September 3, 2009, Printed on September 3, 2009
http://www.alternet.org/story/142388/

America now has more military personnel in Afghanistan than the Red Army
had at the peak of the Soviet invasion and occupation of that country.
According to a Congressional Research Service report, as of March of
this year, the U.S. had 52,000 uniformed personnel and another 68,000
contractors in Afghanistan -- a number that has likely grown given the
blank check President Obama has written for what's now being called
"Obama's War."

That makes 120,000 American military personnel fighting in Afghanistan,
a figure higher than the Soviet peak troop figure of 115,000 during
their catastrophic 9-year war. Just this week, General McChrystal, whom
Obama appointed to command American forces in Afghanistan, is talking
ofsending tens of thousands more American troops. At the height of the
Soviet occupation,Western intelligence experts estimated that the
Soviets had 115,000 troops in Afghanistan -- but like America, the more
troops and the longer the Soviets stayed, the more doomed their military
mission became.

We're also heading into the same casualty trap as the Soviets did. This
summer has been the deadliest in the eight-year war for American troops.
While the number of uniformed Americans killed in combat in Afghanistan
may seem comparatively low -- just over 800, most of those since 2007 --
the Soviets also suffered relatively light casualties. Between December
1979 and February 1989, just 13,000 Soviets were killed in Afghanistan,
a seemingly paltry figure when you compare it to the 20 million Soviets
killed in World War Two, and the millions upon millions who died in the
Civil War and Stalin's Terror. Unlike America, Russians have a
reputation for tolerating appalling casualty figures -- and yet the war
in Afghanistan destroyed the Soviet Empire. Which only proves that crude
number comparisons explain nothing at all in warfare today, particularly
when that war is an occupation of an alien environment like Afghanistan.

Why hasn't anyone pointed out that America's troop commitment now
exceeds the Red Army's? For some inexplicable reason the corporate media
has decided to shuffle the figures and exclude the US military
contractors from the total figure of US military personnel. It makes no
logical sense -- we still count the Hessians among the British forces in
the War of Independence. It's as if the only thing left that Americans
are capable of is accounting fraud -- the only talent we perfected over
the past decade was how to move all the bad numbers off the official
books, as if it's become an instinctive reflex.

But just as those accounting tricks didn't change all those banks' and
funds' insolvency, so the American media's troop-counting tricks, in
which contractors are "off books," can't make the disaster in
Afghanistan disappear. We're already more deeply invested in our
Afghanistan war than the Russians were, and as we head into our ninth
year -- the magic number for when the Soviets pulled out and their
empire collapsed -- President Obama is dragging the country deeper into
that disaster. (Moreover, if you add in all the NATO personnel --
useless as they are as a "fighting" force -- the number of Western
troops already far exceeds the number deployed in the Soviet Union's
"unwinnable" war.)

The Afghanistan War has somehow escaped most of America's attention.
People just assumed that since Obama is a decent guy with a sharper mind
than Bush's, he must know what he's doing in Afghanistan, and his
intentions can't be bad -- so why bother paying attention, when we have
all these other problems here at home? Besides, war isn't a fun topic
anymore. Thanks to Bush and Cheney, any talk of war is a total bummer,
whether you're from the right or the left. And Americans don't like
bummers -- instead, America is always "moving on" from its bummers.
Nothing bums Americans out more than losing wars, which helps explain
why Afghanistan is the most we've-moved-on subject of our time. The
problem is that you can't move on from something while it's still a
problem -- but try telling that to a nation of delusionals.

Remember how long after Vietnam it took for for Americans to "move on"
and get their war appetite back on? It took a decade before we could
talk about 'Nam again, and that probably would have gone on longer if it
wasn't for the kick-ass performance by Robert Duvall as Col Kilgore
stirring a new generation's blood lust. (For a taste of just how
cinematic this budding tragedy could be,< a
href="http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/10/in_afghanistan_with_the_isaf.html">click
here to check out these amazing photos.) We suffered then from "Vietnam
Syndrome," which was a strange way of assigning a mental illness to a
totally rational aversion to invading far-away countries. This time it's
going to be even worse, though: given our 0-2 war record this decade,
and the shameful way that America's pseudo-imperialists snatched defeat
from the jaws of victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, like a nation of Bill
Buckners, it's no wonder no one here wants to talk about Afghanistan.

Since we've already long ago "moved on" from Afghanistan, it means that
our agony of defeat there will be far more painful than anything we've
experienced before. The most frustrating thing is how obvious this
catastrophe is: Obama is leading America into a predictable sequel of
superpower-loses-in-hellish-Third-World-quagmire: he's doubling down
troops in a war fewer people understand, a war that's
growingincreasingly unpopularas the casualty count accelerates;
investing more into a corrupt regime which just stole elections in a way
that would make the hardliners in neighboring Iran blush; suicide
bombers are beingdirected by the Afghan defense department to blow up
American journalists, leading to a dusty version of the ol' "who's in
charge here?" "I thought you were"; and now, the American right wing --
the only thing that approximates a real opposition this country -- is
having a collective Walter Cronkite moment, withGeorge Will of all
people leading the call for the West to pull its forces out now in order
to limit the defeat's damage. George fucking Will as the conscience of
our nation?! This must be what Marx meant by tragedy turning to farce.

And through it all, the Russians must beenjoying America's decline more
than anyone, after all the gloating we did over their downfall: in our
two nations' ongoing Tom & Jerry Show, America's looming defeat is
shaping up to be Russia's revenge on America's revenge for what Russia
did to America in Vietnam.

Which reminds me of an interview a couple of years ago I did with a
former top Soviet advisor to the puppet Afghan government's General
Staff, Pyotr Goncharov. I was still in Moscow then, and I was working on
a story to counter the then-popular neocon meme that Iraq wasn't really
the disastrous war that its critics said it was because after all,
"only" 4,000 Americans died there. A lot of Russian nationalists still
argue that they could have won the war in Afghanistan and that it wasn't
going so badly, given the low body count--and yet the empire collapsed
there. I was curious why even a police state like the Soviet Union
collapsed, and what lesson America could learn from that.

And this is where it got strange, because the first thing Goncharov said
to me when I met him was, "I just want to say to you that what the
Americans are doing in Afghanistan is perfect. You're doing everything
right that we did wrong over there. You're not making any of our
mistakes, and with my experience there, I can only commend you."
Goncharov told me he was the top Soviet advisor to the Afghan regime's
joint chiefs of staff from 1986-9, the year of the pullout, and today he
is a leading military analyst on Afghanistan issues for state
RIA-Novosti. He wasn't interested in my line of questioning about why
low body counts are so devastating to superpowers -- instead, all he
wanted to talk about was what a great man John McCain is. "Everything he
proposes for the war in Afghanistan is exactly right. He really knows
what he's talking about," Goncharov said. Then his otherwise cheerful
face took on a confused almost dour expression: "But I have to ask: is
it really possible that Americans will elect Barack Obama? Because this
would be a disaster for the world. If Obama is president and he
withdraws from Afghanistan, the whole world will pay, much worse than we
all paid after the Soviet pullout. It can't really be possible that
Obama will win, could it? I can't believe America would do that."

Now we know how it really turned out: Barack Obama won the presidency,
but in terms of dealing with Bush's war legacy it may as well have been
McCain. Because Obama's Afghanistan War policy is indistinguishable from
McCain's, which is why McCain has nothing but good things to say about
Obama's conduct of the war. I always wondered after that interview with
Goncharov what his reasoning was for supporting another Republican
president, given the disaster America suffered under Bush: did he want
America to get sucked into Afghanistan and collapse like his country
did, out of vengeful spite? Or was Goncharov being sincere, as I think
he was? My guess is that Goncharov really wanted McCain and genuinely
liked him, because McCain was someone a military man like Goncharov
could understand. And anyway, as intelligent and refined as Goncharov
was, he proved what Obama is proving today: we never learn from our
mistakes, as much as we pretend we do.

Call it "Afghanistan Syndrome": Twenty years ago, Afghanistan was
Russia's "Vietnam"; today, Afghanistan is becoming America's
"Afghanistan." Obama is walking into this disaster like one of the
doomed victims from the Scream series: everyone, including the
protagonists, knows that it's going to be a disaster, everyone's seen
the script so many times they can recite it from heart. And yet Obama's
leading the nation into the trap all over again. And Obama can't even be
compared to LBJ, who at least managed to give millions of Americans
Medicare. What will Obama's legacy be? The PPIP program? Protecting
AIG's bonuses?

Read more of Mark Ames at eXiledonline.com. He is the author of Going
Postal: Rage, Murder, and Rebellion: From Reagan's Workplaces to
Clinton's Columbine and Beyond.