[Marxism] Afghanistan looking more like Vietnam

Nasir Khan naskha3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 09:48:35 MDT 2009

Afghanistan looking more like Vietnam

Robert Scheer, SF Gate, September 3, 2009

True, he doesn’t seem a bit like Lyndon Johnson, but the way he’s
headed on Afghanistan, Barack Obama is threatened with a quagmire that
could bog down his presidency. LBJ also had a progressive agenda in
mind, beginning with his war on poverty, but it was soon overwhelmed
by the cost and divisiveness engendered by a meaningless, and
seemingly endless, war in Vietnam.

Meaningless is the right term for the Afghanistan war, too, because
our bloody attempt to conquer this foreign land has nothing to do with
its stated purpose of enhancing our national security. Just as the
government of Vietnam was never a puppet of communist China or the
Soviet Union, the Taliban is not a surrogate for al Qaeda. Involved in
both instances was an American intrusion into a civil war whose
passions and parameters we never fully have grasped and will always
fail to control militarily.

 Continues >> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/02/EDE419HPL5.DTL