[Marxism] Voting with feet, not commendable in Argentina Re: China's high speed rail plans,

nada dwaltersMIA at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 20:10:50 MDT 2009

Well, I don't agree with S. Artesian. Of course we take positions on
develop issues. If I were a union activist in China, in the rail unions,
I'd be *demanding* more development. More money for maintenance of way,
for better and faster trains, for more input into managing the still
state-owned rail roads and to fight against any privatization efforts.
Why WOULDN'T we do this? Because another sector of industry is run
unsafely? This makes no sense. The Chinese nation is still in
development. It is not an imperialist power (yet). Even as a developing
capitalist nation, we defend China, as *any* Chinese revolutionary
would, against capitalism and this means, even in an inevitably
contorted way, development of the productive forces via infrastructure
development.

Let's use Nestor's country as an example. When Peron came to power he
implemented what the left had demanded in the unions for decades:
nationalization of British owned meat packing industry, one of the
largest employers in the country. So...for workers in the industry and
as a class as a whole, any further demands are then...what? Not
important? Please. They would demand and expect and *expansion* and
*modernization* of their industry.

The same is true in China or any place where the issues of state
control, privatization, national development come to the fore. These are
not question to be *ignored* as S. Artesian unfortunately, advocates for.

David W