[Marxism] [GreenLeft_discussion] US cuts more aid to Honduras coup regime, rejects stacked election

John johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Fri Sep 4 00:50:10 MDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 11:43 +0530, Sukla Sen wrote:
> The US announcement of an aid cutoff to Honduras is a "direct blow" against
> the strategy of the coup regime in Honduras, deposed President Manuel Zelaya
> declared in an interview with The Nation today.
> Unquote
>
> What a sea change!
> Just compare with Sept 11 1973 (in Chile) or April 11 2002 (in Venezuela).
>
> It is one thing to tell that things have not changed enough - not even
> nearly enough. They must change much further.
> And quite another to claim: "not a damn thing has changed"!
> And to pretend that Obama is a Kim Il Sung or Khomeini.

Except nobody here has tried to claim that Obama is like Kim Il Sung.
What's happened here is, two months after the coup, now that the US has
decided where their best interests lie, they've apparently made their
move. The difference here is that in Chile in '73, and in Venezuela in
'02, the US was behind the coups. This one they weren't directly behind,
so they needed to see how things panned out. If the Honduran people's
response hadn't been so resolute, I could well imagine the Obama regime
having quietly bided its time before eventually "facing reality" and
recognising the Golpistas.

A better indication of the true nature of the Obama administration's
foreign policy can currently be found in Afghanistan.
Cheers,
John