[Marxism] [GreenLeft_discussion] US cuts more aid to Honduras coup regime, rejects stacked election

John johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Fri Sep 4 03:07:04 MDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 18:50 +1200, John wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 11:43 +0530, Sukla Sen wrote:
> > The US announcement of an aid cutoff to Honduras is a "direct blow" against
> > the strategy of the coup regime in Honduras, deposed President Manuel Zelaya
> > declared in an interview with The Nation today.
> > Unquote
> >
> > What a sea change!
> > Just compare with Sept 11 1973 (in Chile) or April 11 2002 (in Venezuela).
> >
> > It is one thing to tell that things have not changed enough - not even
> > nearly enough. They must change much further.
> > And quite another to claim: "not a damn thing has changed"!
> > And to pretend that Obama is a Kim Il Sung or Khomeini.

Actually having now read the story, it turns out the Obama government
hasn't actually "done" anything at all. The money had already been
suspended and they still haven't declared the coup to be a coup. I don't
blame Zelaya for making a propaganda point about it - it's a moral
victory - but it changes nothing. Certainly it's nothing to start
getting all googly eyed about Obama over.
Cheers,
John