[Marxism] The Boston Globe on radical films

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Sep 5 17:58:43 MDT 2009

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:13:18 -0400 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:

> Godard's relation to Marx and to Marxism was never a simple one. In
> 1994 interview with Andrew Sarris, he comes across more as a Groucho
>
> Marxist. (It is entirely possible that Godard is pulling the
> literal-minded and obnoxiously liberal Sarris's leg.)

That's sort of like what happened when Althusser
in his memoirs claimed that he never read much Marx.
Hordes of literal minded critics (at least in the
anglophone world) jumped on that statement.
It's obvious, to me at least, that Althusser
was pulling his readers' legs but perhaps
French humor doesn't translate well into
English.