[Marxism] Good critique of Walter Benn Michaels's NLR article

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 00:11:40 MDT 2009

> Well, what he sloppily insinuates about income inequality and New Left
> movements being the cause of it, is easily refutable.

No where is this insinuated. I can't understand how anyone could take that
reading from his article.

What is stated is the truth that much of the apparent "progress"
for minorities and women have a lot more to do with neoliberalism becoming
the ruling
ideology than it has to do with post-political identity movements.

WBM goes too far and is a bit bombastic in some of his claims-- like that
there "anti-fascism
and feminism aren't inherently left-wing goals"... that's ridiculous, but I
would rather have a return
to "old left" ideology and class than the ineffectual muck we have right
now.