[Marxism] What to do? [Early morn "Labor Day" thoughts]

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Sep 7 13:03:38 MDT 2009

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:05:42 -0400 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:
> Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:
> > Maybe it's the naivety of youth, but I don't see why such an
> organization
> > couldn't openly run candidates in Democratic primaries on an
> openly
> > Marxist, oppositional platform for the sake of not a fantasy to
> "transform"
> > or "push the Democrats left", but to reach out to progressive
> forces that
> > are unfortunately held up in the Democratic camp?  (Whether we
> like it or
> > not they are there.)
>
> Anybody who runs as a Democrat is unlikely to have "openly Marxist"
> views.

To be fair to Bhaskar, I think he is suggesting that
people who are already "openly Marxist" might want
to consider running in Democratic primaries
as a way of introducing Marxist ideas to those
Democratic primary voters, who are progressively
inclined.  If I understand him correctly, what he
is suggesting now is different from the Michael
Harrington-type approach which would attempt
to persuade progressives to attempt to capture
the Democratic Party or at least push it to the
left.  I don't think that such a thing is possible
and progressives who have attempted to do
this have either come to grief or have themselves
become co-opted by the DP apparatus and so
cease to be progressives.

Jim F.