[Marxism] A Different Environmental Threat: Peak Rare Minerals, China, and Green Technology

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 08:27:30 MDT 2009

Earlier in this thread someone said:
"Another claim I hear a lot is that the war in the Congo is driven by
minerals, which I don't deny..."
... and then refuted a more specific claim about a particular mineral.
As far as I know this is the only time Africa was mentioned in this
thread (I've admittedly only skimmed it). But it's enough of a hook to
ask for others' opinions about a book review in the latest Against the
Current on the war in the Congo:
http://www.solidarity-us.org/node/2377
... which argues that claims that the conflict was fueled by Western
imperialist interests in the region's resources are "bunk" and that it
is rather down to intra-African imperialism.
I'm inclined to disbelieve this (I'm more inclined to believe the
latter was fueled by the former), but haven't followed the conflict
closely enough to say.