[Marxism] NEW TITLE: HUGO CHAVEZ PRESENTS SIMON BOLIVAR: THE BOLIVARIAN REVOLUTION

Verso Mail versomail at verso.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 08:04:27 MDT 2009

NEW TITLE:

HUGO CHAVEZ PRESENTS SIMON BOLIVAR: THE BOLIVARIAN REVOLUTION

SIMON BOLIVAR

Edited by Matthew Brown

Published August 2009

"Do not measure your physical forces against those of the enemy, as there is no comparison between spirit and matter. You are men, they are beasts;
you are free, they are slaves." - Simon Bolivar

------------------------------------

Launch event: 'Celebrating Venezuela!'

WEDNESDAY 21ST OCTOBER, BOLIVAR HALL, LONDON, FROM 7.30PM

On October 21st 2009, join the Ambassador H.E. Samuel Moncada, Tariq Ali, and Matthew Brown at Bolivar Hall for the launch of Verso's new book THE BOLIVARIAN REVOLUTION.

The event will be in celebration of the tenth year of the Bolivarian Constitution: the past decade has seen spectacular Bolivarian achievement; promoted primarily by Chavez, the 1999 constitution, which is still current, pledges human rights for all and socioeconomic improvements, as well as major governmental changes.

------------------------------------

In his introduction to this collection of Bolivar's writings, Hugo Chavez, the charismatic and controversial Venezualan president, explains why Bolivar, held as a model for subsequent Latin American radicals, continues to inspire.
Welcomed as a potential saviour by the impoverished and greeted with considerable alarm by Washington, Chavez has adopted Bolivar's aims and ambitions for an integrated and liberated Latin America, dubbing his own programmes of social reform "the Bolivarian Revolution."
Chavez traces Bolivar's transfiguration into the revolutionary known as El Libertador, and brings into relief his foresight in predicting North American dominance over Latin America - and therefore why Bolivar's writings continue to set fire today.
The Venezuelan revolutionary Simon Bolivar, also known as El Libertador and the "George Washington of South America," was one of South America's greatest generals in the early nineteenth century.
Bolivar's victories over the Spanish won independence for Bolivia, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela.  Significantly, his project of freedom from colonialism also took a stand for the emancipation of slaves and social equality for all.
This collection of Bolivar's writings covers the whole of his colourful political career, starting with the rousing words of his 'Oath Taken in Rome': "I swear by my Country that I will not rest body or soul until I have broken the chains binding us to the will of Spanish might!"

------------------------------------

Hugo Chavez is the President of Venezuela. A former army paratrooper, Chavez spent two years in prison after leading a failed coup in 1992 of the government of President Carlos Andres Perez. After being pardoned, he relaunched his party as the Movement of the Fifth Republic. He was elected President in 1998 in a landslide victory, and has since been re-elected twice.

------------------------------------

ISBN: 978 1 84467 381 0   £7.99 / $14.95 / Paperback / 208 pages

HUGO CHAVEZ PRESENTS THE BOLIVARIAN REVOLUTION is available from all good bookshops and:

http://www.versobooks.com/books/ab/b-titles/bolivar_simon_bolivarian_revolution_rev.shtml

UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ch%C3%A1vez-presents-Bolivarian-Revolution-Revolutions/dp/1844673812/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252496433&sr=8-4

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781844673810/Hugo-Chavez-Presents-Simon-Bolivar

US:

http://www.amazon.com/Bolivarian-Revolution-Revolutions-Simon-Bolivar/dp/1844673812

Visit Verso's new blog for information on our upcoming events, new reviews and publications and special offers.
http://versouk.wordpress.com/

And get updates on Twitter too!
http://twitter.com/VersoBooksUK